Table Wine loves to give back to the Asheville community because it is this wonderful community that supports us. For 2012, we’ve chosen to work again with the Mission Healthcare Foundation, which connects the generosity of a caring community with opportunities to improve lives through better healthcare. One of their main efforts is promoting breast cancer awareness and providing resources to breast cancer patients. Last year, we were able to raise nearly $2,000 for the foundation, and we’re hoping that we can top that in 2012.
Our first fundraising event will take place on Friday, June 1 at Table Wine from 4:00 to 7:00 p.m., and this is your chance to taste some delicious wines that “give back” all year long. The cost to attend is $10 per person, and most of those proceeds will go back to MHF. In addition, you’ll get to taste the 6 “wines for a cause” – if you choose to buy any of them at any point in the year, Table Wine will donate 10% of the proceeds back to this dynamic organization. We hope you can make it, but even if you can’t, stop by the store any time and we’ll show and tell you about the wines.
The wines are listed below and all of them are $16 or less per bottle!
1. 2011 Francois Lurton Pinot Gris – Francois Lurton has wine running through his veins, as he comes from a family that has been involved in the wine trade for hundreds of years. He makes this wine from the warm and sunny vineyards of Argentina and it is a dry, nicely textured, fruit filled white wine for the warm weather.
2. Francois Lurton Sauvignon Blanc – Much like Francois’ Pinot Gris, this is a stellar value in “summer-friendly” white wine. Grapes come from the southwestern part of France, and the wine bursts with ripe tropical and citrus fruits with a slight hint of smoky mineral.
3. Peirano Estate Chardonnay – Butter and oak lovers will love this rendition of Chardonnay made by one of the oldest family owned and operated wineries in Lodi, California. It is rich, creamy and smooth and offers up flavors of ripe tropical fruits along with vanilla and creamy, toasty oak.
4. Monte Oton Garnacha – This older vine Grenache-based wine comes from Bodegas Borsao, one of Spain’s top value producers. The wine is fermented in stainless steel and offers up ripe notes of black cherry, blueberry, white pepper and a whiff of smoke.
5. Line 39 Petite Sirah – Although Petite Sirah is of French descent, its current home is without a doubt California. This one is medium to full bodied with a nice mix of brambly berry fruit, spices and smoky oak. The perfect wine to enjoy with any sort of meat off the grill………or by itself!
6. Marietta Old Vine Lot 57 – Since 1978, the Bilbro family have made quality wines and sold them at fair prices without relying on mass marketing or advertising campaigns. This is their best seller and it is based predominantly on Old Vine Zinfandel, with smaller amounts of Petite Sirah, Carignane and Cabernet, it is fully fruited and super spicy. It is almost too easy to drink.