Friday Winedown – Friday, July 15 from 4-7pm – $5/person – Free For Grape Nuts – Join Andoni Uroz of Uroz Beverage fresh off of his presentation of the wines of Lopez Heredia on Thursday for an incredible tasting of Portuguese wines. We’ve stocked many wines from Portugal since day one of opening the shop, and Andoni is our go-to distributor for them. Don’t worry, just because you can’t pronounce or recognize any of the grape varieties means nothing……….these are just good and they completely over deliver their price points.
1. 2010 Monte Velho Blanco – Yes, many of you have tried this wine, which I call “the most dangerous white wine on the planet”, but I don’t think anyone is going to complain if they have to try it again.
2. 2009 Quinta da Romeira Arinto – The native Arinto grape produces beautifully aromatic and dry whites that I could drink all day. It tastes a bit like a dry Riesling or Albarino with its tropical fruit notes……….great with fresh seafood.
3. 2008 Herdade do Esporao Blanco Reserva – This is one of those wow wines that will give you a glimpse into the potential of how great Portuguese whites can be. Rich, oily and nicely textured, this one bursts out of the glass with notes of clove, honey, exotic spices and ripe orchard fruits. It is the Reserve bottling of the Monte Velho Blanco!
4. 2008 Quinta de Cabriz Tinto – Here’s a 90 point Wine Spectator wine for $10.99. Try it, love it and buy it by the case, as it can be consumed now or through 2017!
5. 2008 Dao Sul Palestra Tinto – From Portugal’s famous Douro Valley, here’s an 89 point Wine Spectator wine for $10.99. Try it, love it and buy it by the case at a 15% discount.
6. 2007 Quinta do Penedo Tinto – This looks and tastes like a wine that you would typically pay $30+ for. It is dark as night in color and extremely powerful and rich with ripe plum, black cherry, exotic spices and on and on. The real deal here folks!
7. 2007 Heredade do Esporao Tinto Reserva – Here’s a wine that behaves like one that would typically cost you $40 to $50. It oozes blackberry, boysenberry, spicy oak and mocha notes on the nose leading into a jammy palate of berries, spices and chocolate mousse.
Put together a mixed 6 pack at 10% off or a mixed case at 15% off.