If you are a California Cab lover, you don’t want to miss this Friday’s tasting. We’ll have 5 Cabernet Sauvignon based wine to share with you from a variety of growing regions throughout the state. From the fruit forward and friendly Cabs of Paso Robles and Sonoma County to the more structured and firm versions from Napa, we’ve got you covered. The tasting will take place this Friday, September 7 from 4 to 7 p.m. The cost to taste all 5 wines is just $5, or it’s free if you’re a Grape Nut.
1. 2009 Cannonball Wine Co. Cabernet Sauvignon – This was the top selling red wine at our recent 2 year anniversary party. Fruit is sourced from great sites in Sonoma, Napa and Mendocino to create this lush, full bodied, fruit forward style of Cab. It displays ripe notes of blueberry and black cherry fruit along with a nice integration of spicy, toasty American and French oak.
2. 2007 Little Lion Wine Co. Probability Red – There are several good things going for this wine. It’s delicious, it’s from the fabulous 2007 vintage and all of the fruit comes from vineyards in the Oakville district of Napa. A nose of raspberry, black cherry, cedar and spice box leads into a structured palate of dark fruits, complex spices and licorice. More than one customer that has bought it has described it as tasting like a $35 to $40 bottle……….it costs a lot less than that!!!
3. 2009 1221 Cabernet Sauvignon – We’ve had a few customers say that this wine tastes like Silver Oak at $25. You can be the judge of that, but most of the fruit does come from the Alexander Valley district of Sonoma and the wine is fermented and aged entirely in American oak (so is Silver Oak). Lush layers of dark berry fruit are framed nicely by toasty oak and spice notes and the wine possesses a nice, luscious mouthfeel. Easy to drink and easy to like!
4. 2010 Justin Cabernet Sauvignon – Justin Winery has been instrumental in establishing the Paso Robles region of California as a viable source of great wines. Their vineyards are located on the cooler west side of Paso, and their Cabernet is a very classy one with layers of cassis, plum, black cherry, spice and chocolate notes. It is a real crowd pleaser and relative great value.
5. 2009 Summers Cabernet Sauvignon – It’s been awhile since we’ve sampled out this one. It is one of our top selling California Cabs and it is a big, structured wine that can be enjoyed now or ten years from now. 100% Cabernet Sauvignon (no blending grapes), it is a big, dark, chewy wine with loads of dark fruits, earth and licorice notes. Enjoy it with a grilled steak or lamb chops.