- This event has passed.
Focus on Southern Italy – Free Wine Tasting
August 17, 2019 @ 2:00 pm - 5:00 pmFree
It’s Asheville’s best free wine tasting and you’re invited! Join us as we focus on the wines of Southern Italy with Mike Tiano of the Haw River Wine Man.
Asheville’s Best Free Wine Tasting – Just stop by – we’ve got plenty of free parking!
In a country where wine is produced everywhere, Southern Italian wines often get forgotten about. We think that’s a travesty! And when you taste this lineup, we think you’ll agree with us. The regions of Puglia, Campania, and Sicily enjoy warm, sunny, and dry conditions, and the resulting wines are loaded with ripe fruit and pleasure-bent personalities. Add to that the fact that some of Italy’s greatest values come from these regions, and you’v’e got a winning formula. Stop by and taste what we’re talking about!
All of the featured tasting wines are 20% off by the bottle on tasting day only.
1. 2018 Mannara Pinot Grigio (Sicily, Italy) – This is no fuss, no muss white wine that over-delivers in a big way. Showing riper and rounder fruit notes than most under-$10 Pinot Grigios, this one flows nicely with flavors of apple, pear, and peach.
2. 2017 Fontanavecchia Taburno Falanghina del Sannio (Campania, Italy) – In our estimations, this is one of Southern Italy’s greatest white wine values. From a family run winery in the northern part of Campania, this wine is consistently ranked as one of the top 2 or 3 Falanghinas produced in the world. A beautiful, complex wine with aromas and flavors of tropical fruits, citrus, peach, herbs, and a hint of smoke, it’s delicious with seafood.
3. 2017 Tenuta Ibidini Nero d’Avola (Sicily, Italy) – Tenuta Ibidini is the “second label” from Gaetana Jacono’s Valle dell’Acate, one of Sicily’s top estates. Trust me, there’s no quality sacrificed here! We love the silky texture of this wine combined with the hallmark notes of dark fruits and peppery spice. It’s a great introduction to Nero d’Avola, one of Sicily’s most important black grapes.
4. 2015 Vecchia Torre Salice Salentino (Puglia, Italy) – Ever tried Negroamaro? If you love rich, ripe, and spicy reds like Zinfandel, this wine will be your new best friend! It’s so unbelievably good for the money, and it lends itself to all sorts of occasions. Having a cookout and need a solid red? Here you go. Looking for a bold, everyday, house red? This is the ticket. Taste it, stock up on it, and share it with friends. They’ll think you spent way more!
5. Surprise Wine – We’ll end with the “Barolo of Southern Italy.” And we’ll only open 1 bottle of this one. Come early or you’ll miss out.