For fans of classic wines of France, you don’t want to miss this free wine tasting! Lytton Martin of Proof Wine and Spirits joins us to pour some timeless wines from the Old World and you’re invited.
When it comes to French wines, I’m all about the classics. I’m talking about Sancerre, Chinon, and Cotes du Rhone — I just can’t get enough of these, and I’m proud of the selections available at the store. Being that we focus on small growers and producers, this tasting will only include wines from small, family owned and operated estates. That means the wines come from folks who maintain quality-control from the vineyard to the bottle. Stop by, taste the difference, stock up, and save big.
All of the featured tasting wines are being offered at 20% off by the bottle! All sales must be tendered by the end of business on Friday.
1. NV Bohigas Cava Brut Reserva (Penedès, Spain) – Simply put, this is one of the top Cava values on the planet! The Wine Advocate say, “Made from a classic blend (for this area) of Xarel-lo, Macabeo and Parellada planted in limestone and clay soils, the wine spends 24 months on its lees before disgorgement. It is an excellent value for consumers looking for alternatives to French Champagne.”
Special Tasting Price: $12.79/bottle
2. 2016 Domaine Etienne Daulny Sancerre (Loire Valley, France) – Etienne Daulny owns 37 acres within the Sancerre wine region of France’s Loire Valley. This, his “basic cuvée” is far from normal as grapes from some of the appellations most revered vineyards make their way into this wine. As is required by law, the wine is 100% Sauvignon Blanc. Laced with classic notes of grapefruit, tangerine, white peach, and mineral notes, it is one of the best Sancerre values on the market.
Special Tasting Price: $19.19/bottle
3. 2015 La Grange de Piaugier Cotes-du-Rhone (Southern Rhone Valley, France) – Based in the village of Sablet and run by the passionate Jean-Marc Autran and his wife Sophie farm 30 hectares of vines. This is their entry-level wine, and it is an elegant expression of Cotes-du-Rhone. A Rhône field-blend, with primarily Grenache, then Syrah, Mourvèdre, Cinsault and Carignan, it is fresh, juicy, and spicy with fine tannin and zesty acidity.
Special Tasting Price: $10.39/bottle
4. 2015 Domaine Amido Cotes-du-Rhone Villages (Southern Rhone Valley, France) – Talk about your quintessential Cotes-du-Rhone! Not only is this the store’s top-selling wine of all time, it is absolutely delicious. A classic blend of 70% Grenache, 20% Syrah, and 10% Mourvedre, it is rich, round, sumptuous and silky with rich notes of raspberry, blueberry, white pepper, and garrigue.
Special Tasting Price: $11.99/bottle
5. 2015 Bernard Baudry Chinon “Domaine” (Loire Valley, France) – Bernard Baudry is unquestionably one of Chinon’s most outstanding producers. His “Domaine” bottling is produced with 100% Cabernet Franc from 35-40 year old vines grown in gravel and sand/limestone soils. It is the epitome of Loire Valley Cabernet Franc with that classic peppery/earthy edge to the fruit. Fresh and juicy, yet “serious” at the same time, this is one of the benchmark Chinon’s in the world.
Special Tasting Price: $19.99/bottle