Saturday, October 28th from 2-5pm – Join us for our Marietta Cellars Super Saturday Wine Tasting! It’s our last Super Saturday Tasting of 2017, and we’re going out with a bang. Sample seven 90+ point rated wines from this awesome estate for just $5 — free for Grape Nuts. Oh yeah, they only make reds, so we’re starting the tasting with some Pol Roger Champagne. Yee hah!
Now in the hands of the second generation, Marietta Cellars was founded by Chris Bilbro in 1978. Chris was inspired by his aunt Marietta hence the origin of the name. Today, the estate is carried on by Chris’s son Scott Bilbro, and the wines are better than ever. Check out this recent article from Food and Wine to learn more about Team Bilbro.
From their hearty and rustic Zinfnadel-based wines to their powerful and structured Syrahs and Cabernet Sauvignons, this is an impressive roster of wines. In fact, all of their current releases scored 90 points or higher! This promises to be a fun and engaging tasting led by Tryon Distributing’s Richard McKinney and yours truly. Stop by, taste the wines, and buy them at the best prices in the country. No RSVP required — just stop by, pay your $5, and taste the majesty that is Marietta Cellars…….and Pol Roger!
All of the featured tasting wines are being offered at 20% off by the bottle on tasting day! All sales must be tendered by the end of business on Saturday unless other arrangements are made. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
1. NV Pol Roger Champagne Brut Reserve (Champagne, France) – It’s the one and only Pol Roger! One of my favorite Champagne producers, this is always a rich, yet beautifully balanced bubbly. Look at that price!
2. NV Marietta Cellars Old Vine Red Lot #66 (North Coast, California) – Simply put, this is one of California’s perennial top values. Mainly Zinfandel with several other grapes blended in, it “has quite a meaty/gamey nose over a core of warm blackberries, roses, tar and bacon fat plus suggestions of black pepper and anise.” – Wine Advocate – 90 points
3. 2015 Marietta Cellars “Roman” Zinfandel (North Coast, California) – Named after Roman Cisneros, the winery’s cellar master and employee of 30+ years, this is a fine example of Red Zinfandel. “The 2015 Román is a gorgeous, Zinfandel-based red. Bright, plump and exuberant, the 2015 offers striking depth as well as freshness.” – Vinous Media – 90 points | 90 points – Wine Advocate
4. 2014 Marietta Cellars Christo (North Coast, California) – Marietta’s Rhone Blend is mainly Syrah, with smaller parts of Petite Sirah, Grenache, and Viognier. “Deep garnet-purple colored, the nose reveals lifted floral notes of fragrant violets over baked black cherries and raspberry preserves, plus Chinese five spice suggestions.” – Wine Advocate – 91 points | 90 points – Vinous Media
5. 2014 Marietta Cellars Armé (North Coast, California) – The estate’s Bordeaux-styled blend contains 86% Cabernet Sauvignon, 7% Malbec, 5% Merlot, and 2% Petit Verdot, and it was aged for 20 months in neutral barrels. “Cool and savory, but with considerable depth, the 2014 Armé is another knock-out wine from Scot Bilbro. Readers looking for a value-priced California Cabernet will flip out over this wine. This is a very serious wine for the money.” – Vinous Media – 92 points | 90 points – Wine Advocate
6. 2014 Marietta Cellars Syrah “Gibson Block” (McDowell Valley, California) – This one comes from one of the oldest Syrah vineyards in the state…….over 100 years old to be exact. “Black cherry, blackberry, cloves, leather and licorice give the wine its inner sweetness and textural richness, but there is also plenty of aromatic freshness and lift. Violet, camphor, savory herb and scorched earth give the wine a real sense of gravitas.” – Vinous Media – 93 points | 91 points – Wine Advocate
7. 2014 Marietta Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon “Game Trail Vineyard” (Yorkville Highlands, California) – A new addition to the Marietta family of wines, this is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon from the Bilbro family’s ranch. “Dark red stone fruit, rose petal, mint, floral notes and spice are beautifully delineated. Intensely aromatic and pungent, but with no green edges, the 2014 offers tons of personality and character.” – Vinous Media – 93 points | 93 points – Wine Advocate
8. 2015 Marietta Cellars Zinfandel “Angeli Cuvée” (Alexander Valley, California) – From an old site in Alexander Valley, this is the estate’s top Zinfandel. “Earthy undertones give the wine its distinct, savory expression of Zinfandel, with plenty of cedar, tobacco, licorice and herb nuances. Medium on body and restrained for a California Zinfandel, the Angeli hits all the right notes.” Vinous Media – 92 points
Owner/Operator at Table Wine