None other than Robert Parker has said that 2009 in Bordeaux “might turn out to be the best vintage I have tasted in 32 years of covering Bordeaux”. From what I’ve tasted so far, I would agree that it is a super vintage full of great wines at a variety of price points. Much like vintages such as 1959, 1961, 1982 and 2000 (to name a few), the region enjoyed warm, dry weather resulting in opulent wines that will boggle the senses.
On Bordeaux’ Right Bank, the Merlot-driven wines are ripe, fleshy and flamboyant with a variety of drinking windows, whereas on the Left Bank, the Cabernet Sauvignon-based wines are full of ripe fruit, but they are firmer and more structured and will require some patience. All in all this is a vintage for the true Bordeaux lover, but the ripe personality of the wines will also appeal to those who like big Napa-styled wines.
Read on below, and please call the store at828.505.8588 to place your orders. I will stock some of these, but I believe that distributor supplies of these wines will be depleted rather quickly………..in fact, one of the wines on the original list is all ready sold out and wine #5 is almost gone. Act now or forever hold your peace!
All of the wines are being offered at 10% off by the bottle, 15% off in mixed six packs and 20% off in mixed cases.
1. Chateau de Brondeau Bordeaux Superieur – This is just sheer drinking pleasure – great right out of the bottle, it should hold up for at least another 3 years. “A sleeper of the vintage, this opaque purple-colored 2009 reveals oodles of black currant and boysenberry fruit intermixed with notions of graphite, smoke, and velvety tannins.”
80% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Cabernet Franc – drink now or over the next 3 years.
88-89 points – Robert Parker
Regular Price: $17.99/bottle
Pre-Sale Price: $16.19/$15.29/$14.39
2. Chateau Brisson Cotes de Castillon: This is consistently one of Bordeaux’ top values and the 2009 is no exception. “Richly fruity with plenty of black cherry, black currant, cedar, spice box, and earth characteristics, it is a deep, medium to full-bodied, luscious Cotes de Castillon.”
100% Merlot…….drink over next 3 to 5 years.
87-89 points – Robert Parker
Regular Price: $19.99/bottle
Pre-Sale Price: $17.99/$16.99/$15.99
3. Chateau Tour Saint-Bonnet Medoc: We move to the Left Bank with Tour Saint-Bonnet, one of the most consistent Cru Bourgeois producers in the history of Bordeaux. “This has been one of the most reliable wines in Bordeaux over the last 30+ years, and the 2009 may turn out to be the best they have ever made. This inky purple-colored wine offers up notes of creme de cassis, spring flowers, and forest floor that seem to have more in common with a classified growth than a petite chateau.”
45% Cabernet Sauvignon, 45% Merlot, 10% Petit Verdot – drink over the next 10 years.
88-90 points – Robert Parker
Regular Price: $22.99/bottle
Pre-Sale Price: $20.69/$19.54/$18.39
4. Domaine de Courteillac Bordeaux Superieur: This wine is made under the supervision of superstar winemaker Stephane Derenocourt who consults for some of Bordeaux’ finest estates. “It exhibits an opaque ruby/purple color and an elegant nose suggesting a confiture of red and black fruits, spice box, licorice, and a hint of mint. It is lush, rich in fruit, and a delicious wine.”
70% Merlot, 15% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Cabernet Franc – drink over next 5 to 6 years.
88-89 points – Robert Parker
Regular Price: $24.99/bottle
Pre-Sale Price: $22.49/$21.24/$19.99
5. Chateau Cap de Faugeres Cotes de Castillon: This relatively new estate has fashioned their best wine yet – it is the equivalent of a great St. Emilion at a fraction of the price. “It is a full-bodied, super-concentrated effort displaying excellent purity as well as lots of minerality and floral notes imbedded in black and blue fruits. The oak is totally masked, the tannins are prominent but sweet, and the wine is fresh and precise.”
85% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Franc, 5% Cabernet Sauvignon – drink over the next 10 to 12 years.
90-92 points – Robert Parker
Regular Price: $34.99/bottle
Special Price: $31.49/$29.74/$27.99