Friday, October 27th from 2-5pm – Susana Balbo is recognized as one of Argentina’s greatest winemakers as well as one of the greatest winemakers in the world. Stop by the store this Friday to sample some of her finest Argentinian reds!
Susana Balbo was Argentina’s first female enologist, graduating with honors from Don Bosco University in Mendoza in 1981. Today, she is one of the most respected wine figures in Argentina and has been elected three times as President of Wines of Argentina. The recipe for her success is three core philosophies:
1. Hands-on viticulture – Susana doesn’t just make wine, she is also involved with every detail of grape-growing. Great wines are made in the vineyard.
2. Sustainable and Organic Agriculture – This method of farming conserves resources and preserves the health of the soil. It also maintains vine health. Again, great wines are made in the vineyard.
3. Innovation – She’s not afraid to experiment with new techniques and technologies. She was the first in Argentina to conduct all of her fermentations in concrete eggs. The egg’s porous concrete breathes like oak yet allows the wine to develop as if it were made in stainless steel, resulting in a pure expression of fruit with a richer, more complex mouthfeel.
At the end of the day, her commitment to these principles results in some of the finest wines that Argentina has to offer. Come check them out this Friday! Taste, learn, and save big every Friday at Table Wine.
All of the featured tasting wines are being offered at 20% off by the bottle! All sales must be tendered by the end of business on Friday unless other arrangements are made. Email us at email@example.com with questions.
1. 2013 BenMarco Malbec (Mendoza, Argentina) – Starting in 1999, Susana Balbo crafted a line of wines to showcase the ripe fruit expression of her sustainably farmed Mendoza vineyards. The philosophy is a simple one: grow great grapes and make wines with minimal intervention that are true to their place. “The nose is really floral and fruit-driven (black fruit), a little spicy and displaying elegance and poise. The palate is vibrant and focused with pure fruit and silky, fine tannins to make it really drinkable. A great Malbec from Uco and very nicely priced.” – Wine Advocate – 92 points
Special Tasting Price: $15.99/bottle
2. 2014 Susana Balbo Cabernet Sauvignon Signature (Mendoza, Argentina) – From Susana’s home estate, this wine easily competes with Napa Cabs that cost twice the price. “Beautiful dark fruit and raspberry character. Full body, velvety tannins and bright fruit. Pretty and drinkable. A pure and delicious wine.” – James Suckling – 93 points
Special Tasting Price: $19.99/bottle
3. 2014 BenMarco Expresivo (Mendoza, Argentina) – This is the top wine in the BenMarco line, and in 2014, the blend is 80% Malbec and 20% Cabernet Franc. It was #24 on James Suckling’s “50 Best Value Wines Under $50.00” in 2016. “This is great wine with fabulous transparency and clarity showing blackberry, blueberry and floral character. Full body, ultra-fine tannins and a superb finish. 80% malbec and 20% cabernet franc. A wine that gives pleasure now but will be even better in 2020.” – James Suckling – 96 points
Special Tasting Price: $31.19/bottle
Owner/Operator at Table Wine