Christmas is less than a week away, and we’ve invited our good friend Anne Kaufmann of The Country Vintner to join us this Friday, December 19th from 4-7 p.m. to pour a lineup of superstar California wines. We’ve carefully selected some premium wines from the Golden State that would be perfect for turkey, ham, seafood, or standing rib roast, but all of these would also make great gifts for the wine lover in your life. Rich and stylish whites and a trio of highly rated reds from the marvelous 2012 vintage are ideal for holiday feasts or for gift giving. This promises to be a memorable tasting and all of these wines will be on sale at the best prices you can find them in town. Let’s just say we’re feeling merry! So whether you celebrate Christmas or not, you’re invited to join us for a fun and festive wine tasting of premium California Wines. It’s just $5 to try all 5 of the wines.
1. 2013 De Morgenzon Maestro White Blend – The 2013 Maestro White is a blend of 37% Chenin Blanc, 24% Roussanne, 24% Chardonnay and 15% Viognier vinified in cement oak and matured in older oak. The Rhône grape varieties come through nicely on the nose, lending the aromatics a sense of spiciness with hints of fennel and sage coming through. The palate is well-balanced with grapefruit, peach, nectarine and yellow flowers, crisp acidity, great depth and a touch of orange zest enlivening the finish that never becomes too heavy.
2. 2012 Failla Chardonnay – Failla is the personal project of Ehren Jordan, who was the long-time winemaker at Turley Cellars. The 2012 Chardonnay comes from the Fort Ross-Seaview area, from a vineyard planted with an Old Wente clone of Chardonnay. Classic aromas of white peaches, apricots, poached pears and buttered brioche along with a stony minerality and a medium to full-bodied mouthfeel appear in this 2012, which should drink nicely for 4-6 years.
3. 2012 Failla Pinot Noir – Jordan’s 2012 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir is really hard not to like. With silky cherry, strawberry and plum fruit buttressed by subtle earth, spice and herb notes, this medium bodied beauty would be great with turkey, goose, or even filet mignon.
4. 2012 Chappellet Mountain Cuvée – Chappellet is one of Napa’s great, blue blooded estates and their Mountain Cuvée always over-delivers the goods. The fantastic 2012 vintage has yielded a Cabernet Sauvignon-driven blend that gives you a great taste of the 2012 vintage. Ripe cherry, currant, bay leaf and spice inform the nose and palate of this full bodied, friendly and accessible red.
5. 2012 Textbook Cabernet Sauvignon – In our opinion, Jonathan and Susan Pey of Textbook have produced one of the great 2012 Napa Valley Cab values. Their 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa Valley spent 16 months in French oak. It exhibits the vintage’s attractive notes of spice box, generous fruit, outstanding ripeness, and fine purity. This is a delicious “textbook” Cabernet Sauvignon that should well young and age effortlessly for 15 or more years.